Saturday, January 12, 2013

Laduree

   



  While in Paris for New Years, we made, not 1, but 2 stops to Laduree for both their coveted macarons and some good old-fashioned, window drooling. I have come to realize that they are very smart to install sneeze guards and not for the obvious reason, but more for catching the drool hanging from men and women alike while in line gawking at their multiple confections. We discovered the Laduree on the Champs Elysees about 11 years ago (wow, writing that makes me feel old) and it has been a go-to for us ever since. We also always suggest it to anyone we know (or even strangers) who are visiting Paris as a must-taste and must-see. Since then (no correlation with us recommending it), we have seen the popularity of the macaron skyrocket with bloggers taking pictures of their jewelry inside Laduree boxes, multiple pins on Pinterest and even a store opening up in New York. Americans no longer mistake the french macaron with the coconut macaroon we have been familiar with for years. It has, for a lack of a better word, become mainstream. While there are many stores that sell macarons here in France, even the grocery store, I still think Laduree's macarons speak for themselves. Not to mention, the pastel colored decor gives it that certain, I don't know, je ne sais quoi. Since moving down to the south of France, I have resigned myself to thinking Laduree was only for when we visit Paris or if we ever get back to NYC (weird thinking that in order to eat a macaron from a French place we must go to NY) but on a little afternoon drive last week, I spotted with my 2 brown eyes a Laduree in Cannes!! So from now on, a macaron at Laduree is only a 10 minute drive away....ahhh, sweet sugar.





{The many flavors include Vanilla, Chocolate, Lemon, Coconut, Hazelnut, Praline, Coffee, Rose, Raspberry, Licorice, Almond, Red Velvet, and my two favorites, Caramel with Salted Butter and Pistachio}




4 comments:

  1. There goes all your pocket money! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starbucks and now Laduree ! Woopidoo Nikki ! So fresh living in Antibes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I didn't know there was one in Cannes now! (I rarely go down there - only to go to Nespresso, honestly) but I'll have to make a trip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete